Danby Community Council Meeting Minutes, 07-May-2009
Town of Danby, NY
Danby Community Council
Minutes for May 7, 2009
Bob Strichartz, Beverly Fitzpatrick, Ted Crane,
Joel Gagnon, Asher Hockett, June Pollack.
Christal Trutman, Linda Schoffel, Laura Smith, Karen Coleman, Dan Klein
Added to proposed agenda: Danby slogan, Web site for DCC,
Jennings Pond program.
- Minutes for April 2 accepted with item numbers corrected.
- Asher reported that he is looking for success stories
to submit to United Way, such as the youth work crew, scholarship
- Dan Klein mentioned that there are extra copies of the Danby Area News
at the Town Hall. Ted explained that the printer gives us the overrun
copies. He also noted different postal rates for DAN and the
problems with deliveries. Ted will talk with the rural route
- Dan Klein reported that the DCC does not have an up to date
contract with the Town Board. Asher will pursue.
- Review of DAN Guidelines presented by Ted to DCC in April. Decision
will be in the June meeting for submission to the Town Board.
- Youth Programs
Linda Schoffel said trail work crew is set to continue. There may be
other projects as well. Ways to attract Danby youth for the work crew
and market were discussed. Joel will write for Broader View,
June will contact Walt to put info on the message board. Ithaca Youth
Bureau is also helping.
- Farmer's Market
Christal Trutman interested in bringing new ideas to the market,
such as having the Fire Trucks available with a FD member present,
making sure fresh produce is fresh, having music. Dan Klein will
contact Cooperative Extension with food ideas. Christal expressed a
wish to change the day to Friday. She will join the market in August
when her schedule allows. Various members of DCC will look for
possible musical performers from Danby.
- Committees and Programs
Pam Goddard is arranging for a String Band concert on June 21.
August 29 picnic in West Danby has a budget for music, but no group
selected as yet. Sim Redmond band on hold due to Sim's throat
People requesting help for full summer programs. 30% can amount
to a large award. Awards will be capped at $250
Asher will ask Bob Lieberman what is needed to show his film.
- Fun Day
DCC will march. New banner will be made.
- West Danby picnic August 29
- Other Items
- Danby Park requested again that the playground equipment located at the
Danby School be relocated at the Danby Community Park. In a prior
discussion the difficulties of moving this equipment had been pointed
out. Many families use the equipment in its present location.
- We could have a bulletin at the coffee and goodies store on King Road
telling of Danby events. Some customers come up from Coddington road
and do not pass our message sign on 96B June will pursues.
- Slogan for Danby: Perhaps have a competition? T shirts? Could be done
at Fun Day. Example "Danby, 5 cooler!" More discussion needed.
- Website: There is space for DCC on the town website. Minutes, annual
reports, events, youth notices, promotion could be included. More
- Jennings Pond summer program: Should definitely be continued. Bev will
contact ArneVan Leuken for four programs this summer. Notice to be in
- Youth Summer Programs: Laura Smith present the summer brochure. Send
ideas to Laura on the theme of "Discover Danby." Her Team Fun group is
developing "home grown" activities for Fun Day, with crafts and
Next Meeting Date: June 4